More than a tourist!

Amidst uncertainty about my future, I came to Yanam, which is a small urban settlement on the coast of Godavari, close to Eastern Andhra District, near the ancient port city of Kakinada. I received a warm welcome at the airport as I joined as commissioner of the of the municipality, the second person responsible for the area. It was a short stint when I was looking between my preparation for the UPSC interview for my next attempt, the demands of the people from a young officer, and the field visits I got to explore the town, which is not more than 30 square km. While knowing (though with uncertainty) that I would be here for a short time, I got to explore this serene setting with a tourist heart.


The town is breathtaking on its own, as are the surroundings, the roads lined with coconut trees, the calming atmosphere, and the sound of the river. Even just an official visit can rejuvenate one's connection to nature. During one such visit, I passed through mangroves and observed the entire ecology at the interface in addition to the trees. The location of the river's discharge into the Bay of Bengal was not too far away. As I continued to appreciate the mangroves' natural beauty, my engineer informed me of the tasks we must complete in this area for our project, the amenities, restrooms, and access from the major road. How do we ensure something for the local economy? All of a sudden, I had returned from being a thoughtful traveler to an officer at work. 

 


The most significant part of the town is the ferry road  / river front of Godavari which forms one of the boundary of the town. My evenings after the office used to be spent here, me along with my engineer and staff admired the views, the beauty while discussing the things for repair, beautification and works which we need to do here. Sometimes I used to find myself stuck somewhere between a tourist and an officer responsible for it. Am I really the person to be held responsible for every ill thing I found there. Can’t I just say local government is failing and just leave?  Am I in a different position now? I found myself(my position)guilty of not delivering the best, but at the same time I had the drive and fire to improve it, and why not ? What If I’m a tourist? Let me do it. 

The evening air caresses your cheek and makes you feel at ease during a swift boat ride down the river, but what happens the first time you want to try it and discover that you are the only one responsible for operation of it? Should I inquire as to its safety? Should I have faith in the team and the process? I probably didn't know, but the proper way to act would be like a visitor taking in the excitement or an officer inspecting it. 


The ultimate experience I got was when I was taken to a riverine island. An island situated in the mid of river. You can see water flowing both the sides and you standing on a small patch of coarse deposits, exploring the different trees and vegetation. Interestingly I got to taste a different fruit which looked like this, not that sugary and not sour, a taste I still have in my taste buds.


  While exploring the town, I always admired the houses of the region, small hamlets in a “para” as they call, which are neatly maintained where you can find some form of rangoli drawing outside each house everyday. Perhaps it’s for auspiciousness. The beautiful structure of the small houses and moreover their togetherness gives a feeling of warmth. 


As the days progressed I got to learn more about the town, the people, the culture and values. Seeing as though uncertainty of the exam was hanging over me, my workplace advised that I visit some of the nearby stunning temples. Among them the notable was Daksharamam temple, one of the five Pancharama Kshetras that are sacred to the Hindu god Shiva, where it is stated that wish is definitely fulfilled and I had the only one. I made an effort to visit each temple one by one. And to my amazement, the southern region of India has stunning temples that are rich in customs and traditions. I learned about the incarnations of God that I was unaware of.  Among them are Lord Murugan and Lord Venkatesh. I was a devotee with all the faith I could ever dream for, so why was I treated differently in the temples? Am I now a sincere devotee? 



After the intense summer heat, lot of exploration and travel , I was relishing the early morning rain on a beautiful Sunday morning. With a little respite from the rain and breakfast consisting of pakodas and bhajias served with chai, what more could one ask for on a Sunday morning? I received a call informing me that the town was flooded, roads were overflowing with water, numerous drainage systems were clogged due to plastic, and there was a public nuisance. I had to move quickly because my team and I were in half the water, trying to manage the situation by ordering supplies, providing relief, and recruiting more people while strolling down the street with umbrellas. We formed the teams and roped in "Aapda Mitras" for relief efforts and making people do the needful. By the evening we could manage the situation and water gushed out of the major parts of the town. I never would have imagined that the rain at home would bring with it lot of work too. A rainy morning could turn into a hasty Sunday , Whether or not to revel in or now no longer isn't always an option. 



As no visit is complete without a sunset, so do this visit of my story.  But being on eastern coast you can’t geographically witness that, but definitely the changing colours of sky like the changing colours of my career could be seen. I’m still not sure whether I admired the beauty of the town as a tourist and worked to improve the same for the experience or was I experimenting with my limited knowledge? Definitely I was more than a tourist.

I found myself caught between duty and daydreams , an officer with a tourists heart, After all who says you can’t keep a watchful eye while still being captivated by all the magic around you. 



             Image: The Fruit                                                        

Comments

  1. Wow what an amazing journey in Yanam sir πŸ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nicely put ! πŸ™ŒπŸ»❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert Frost was stopping by the woods there and after reading it I realized u were stopping by the yaman....πŸ˜‡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by yaman sir... Cz for a while I forgot that u are an officer there 🀣

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely captured in words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It feels so good to read this as it is really comforting that even a officer thinks that way, you can be doubtful, you can be confused, you can be everything. I feel the same, sometimes I think it is illegal to think about it. But yess thankyou for delivering your thoughts, it helps people to relate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kya kehne mere bhai, shabdo se ek Safar Yanam ka humare liye karane ke liye dil se shukriya ♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can’t I just say local government is failing and just leave?
    The painful paradox in this statement hits rightπŸ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this boosted my mood and excitement. Beautifully synchronised and simultaneous with imagination!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to score 300+ marks in Anthropology Part 1

How to score 300+ in Anthropology Part 2

Anthropological Perspectives on an Army station