How I prepared for UPPSC along with UPSC

2020 attempt


So, in 2020 I attempted UPSC prelims in October and after one week attempted UPPSC also. I did so because my mother wanted me to do so. I was focusing entirely on UPSC only in my first attempt . However, I also thought of having a backup plan as upsc is always uncertain. UPPSC prelims was 1 week after UPSC prelims and I haven’t studied anything extra apart from upsc preparation. 


So, in the one week I had I did following things: 

  1. I attempted 4-5 years previous year questions and got accustomed with the nature and pattern of this prelims. 
  2. I found that static part is almost same and I can deal it, for dynamic national current affairs are already covered (UPSC preparation) and I can safely leave UP specific questions in exam if they ask such. 
  3. I came to know that UPSC ask 100 questions whereas UPPSC ask 150 questions in the same time. However, UPPSC questions are pretty direct and they can be solved in less time. So, time management was not an issue. 


During exam I attempted around 124 questions out of 150(safely left the areas I didn’t know and some UP specific current affairs ).

I cleared prelims of both UPSC and UPPSC. Attempted mains for both. Unluckily I couldn’t clear upsc mains but cleared UPPSC mains and finally got selected as District Youth welfare officer .


Strategy I followed for mains : 

Since UPPSC mains was 3-4 days after upsc mains, I was already exhausted.  In my this attempt I didn’t do anything extra from what I have prepared for upsc. Only for Hindi, I prepared 1 day, covering the syllabus with the help of one of my friend. 







2021 attempt 

Again I followed same strategy for prelims with one extra element. After my UPSC prelims I watched some YouTube videos for covering UP specific current affairs (Study for civil services channel ) . This channel is very useful for UPPSC aspirants as many experienced seniors in this field make these videos.  Rest was same, I didn’t study anything extra apart from this current affairs. 

I attempted 132 questions in the exam as I had decided that 130-135 attempt is the safe attempt to avoid negative marking while scoring good. 

I cleared prelims again, but due to my UPSC interview I skipped the mains and didn’t attempt. 



2022 attempt 


Again I followed the similar strategy. Someone suggested me Ghatnachakra and TMH book for UP specific things. I got ghatnachakra but due to non availability of it in English and limited time I had, I couldn’t read it properly. TMH book for UP is good, I found it interesting so I did cursory reading (due to paucity of time ). Rest current affairs again I covered from YouTube. 


I attempted 134 questions in prelims and this time it was dicey as many conflicting answers were there, but somehow I managed to clear it. 


Mains : again it was 1 day after my UPSC mains and it was already feeling exhausted. But I gave it considering it as my last attempt in civil services journey. I was focusing again on UPSC only so I haven’t prepared anything extra for UPPSC till now. 


Hindi : I got this Youth publication booklet, which I found is a good source to cover Hindi end to end for this examination. I used that and covered nicely this time. 


GS : I knew that some UP specific questions would be there, so TMH book again helped me, like for tourism question, Mission Shakti was also asked and many more. I also looked at past year papers(before the exam day) and noted the themes which are repeatedly asked like tourism, minerals, security aspects etc. I prepared those themes from TMH book in limited 4-5 hours which I had before next day exam. 


Optional : Mine was anthropology, so syllabus is similar for both UPSC and UPPSC, in fact UPPSC syllabus is less than UPSC. So no extra topics to look at. 


Interview: 

I filled only Deputy Collector post in my 2022 attempt as I already joined as SDM in Pondicherry. 

In both my interviews in 2020 and 2022, I got Sabita Agarwal ma’am board. Last time I scored 66, this time I got 73.


Marksheet : 



































Finally, I got Rank 19 this time in UPPSC and got selected for Deputy Collector. And by grace of God, got AIR 71 in UPSC as well!! 


“Lite hai “



Comments

  1. Sir ... Your "lite hai" is really makes me feel light while reading it😊 but is reality 🥲 specially for CSAT 😒

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir What Is TMH book ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tata mcgraw hill book (as far as I can search😅)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to score 300+ marks in Anthropology Part 1

How to score 300+ in Anthropology Part 2

Anthropological Perspectives on an Army station