Journey of Hope!

Hi Guys, My name is  Dwij Goel and I have secured AIR 71 in UPSC CSE 2022 and would be joining IAS soon.

I come from a small town named Kharkhauda,near Meerut, U.P. After finishing my basic education from Meerut, I have done B.Tech in mechanical engineering from NIT- Bhopal. After my graduation in 2019, I worked for a year in Hero MotoCorp limited, Gurgaon as Assistant Manager. 


In September 2020, I left my job to prepare full time for upsc. In my first attempt (2020) I cleared prelims but couldn’t clear mains. But, meanwhile I got selected in UPPSC(state services) but I was not satisfied with it so didn’t join. 


In 2021, I improved, plugged all loopholes and attempted mains in January 2022 with all my heart. After mains, I also started working on some of my ideas apart from UPSC. Between Mains and interview I Co-founded an EdTech startup with my friend and worked 3-4 months, but eventually it failed due to some flaw in marketing, and it was a setback for me. I got upsc interview call in the meantime but missed the final list by 5 marks. I felt devastated, as I couldn’t make it because of poor marks in interview.

Nothing was working for me, 2 years already passed away after I quit my  job and I was still sitting at the same place. 

This was the time I started doubting myself. My closest friend and my got to go person also left me. But as they say “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”.


Me, my friends Shubhratosh and Asad also couldn’t make it to the final list and they were also disheartened by it. 

With prelims around the corner (after 5 days only ) ,we three together gathered all the courage we had for our 3rd attempt and attempted again. I attempted UPPSC also, after 1 week of UPSC. Then I went for a week long trip with my friends and recharged myself for mains again, considering it as my last attempt . We 3 together cleared prelims and wrote UPSC mains again in September 2022. When one feels demotivated , other one is there to help out. We prepared together, made notes together and made lifelong memories. This was probably the good thing out of all, that we 3 together were kicked out by UPSC, and now in our utopian beliefs hoping to go LBSNAA together next year, the probability of which is (0.0033 %). We prepared and attempted mains together. Just after 1 day of finishing of UPSC mains , I also wrote UPPSC mains (to get Deputy collector post ) considering this as my last attempt in civil services journey. 


Till 9th October 2022, things were not working for me. Then suddenly on 10th October UPSC released reserve list of 2021 attempt and luckily I got my name there. I was allotted PONDICS, and currently I’m working as Commissioner Municipality in Pondicherry. Then, on 8th April 2023 I got UPPSC final result and I got Rank 19 and got selected as Deputy Collector (SDM as they say). Finally, I appeared in UPSC interview on 17th April 2023 and has now secured AIR 71. 


So, this has been a roller coaster ride of emotions, fear, anxiety, failures and hope. As rightly said “ hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” I was very hopeful and optimistic about seeing the light at the other end. 


And yaa, Asad has got AIR 86, Shubhratosh has got AIR 358 and we are going LBSNAA together !!!


Pic: 3 idiots at post-selection party :p




“Lite hai”



Comments

  1. Md FARRUKH ILYAS6 June 2023 at 20:46

    This was the first read of the day. Very meaningful, it is rightly said, a dream needs a vision with perseverance and hope. If you have believe in it. You will do it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sir your hard work paid off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sir first of all congratulations on clearing upsc cse....In my case dreams are big to make it to the final list but resources are limited and could not afford a coaching institute....A humble request to please guide me in a right way as there are many who say read ncert read standard books but i dont feel like they are really into guiding me or is it just for the sake of guiding....i am currently a bcom graduate and i even had got a job in one of the private company in campus recruitment but i rejected it to prepare for cse and i barely have 2 years because of the financial conditions of mine...and i cannot even be dependent on parents for too long...they insist me to study and pursue my goal but deep down i can feel their words of struggles.. by looking into Youtube videos i have of basic ideas of what all subjects are and further from here i require a guiding light which would take me to my goal of name in the final list and i working for my parents...I dont think you may come across this comment but if you have seen this i have texted you on Instagram please do reply
    With all due respect thankyou sir it was nice listening your part of the struggle😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. when going gets tough, the tough gets going...Best wishes and fulfilling career all of you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello sir,,
    iam faith
    i have been following you in telegram, insta. here i am.

    your journey, your Honesty towards your two closed frineds has really encourage me and drew meto write this. am truly inspired.

    i have message you in insta personally for guidence. kindly get back to me. i hope you see my message as soon as possible.

    Sir! Would appreciate your kindness.
    Thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hii sir this is an amazing read which literally pumps the heart all over again di you too were one amongst lakhs in Old Rajinder Nagar or did you prepare from your home ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to score 300+ marks in Anthropology Part 1

How to score 300+ in Anthropology Part 2

Anthropological Perspectives on an Army station